Today: Signal Hill 4 mile run
For someone who does not like interval training because it's hard, I'm sort of shocked by how much I love running on hills and into a headwind. Not massive grade hills, but a good steep hill run makes me happy and confident. I don't enjoy so much a strong headwind where I'm nearly bent over and trying to break the currents with the top of my head. Rather, one that is strong enough to "stand me up." A nice and strong breeze that challenges me to keep momentum, but also ensures that I'm standing more erect and less early man.
I look forward to the Signal Hill run. We start at Rossmore Bakery and head up to the base of Hill Street, then loop around the back way long 20th to Temple and over to Cherry. Then it's flat the rest of the way along Cherry, Willow and Redondo before stopping at the bakery. I usually finish by heading back to Hill Street and seeing how far up the hill I can run. I know I can make it to the top, but I want to see how far I can get before my the lazy side of my mind takes over and says, "That's it! I'm telling your legs to stop pushing now..." and the fighting side sucker punches the lazy side and yells at me to focus and keep running.
I'm probably totally wrong about this, but I feel like measuring how far I can make it up the hill without trying is a good measure of how strong I am and how much endurance is left in my legs. It's the point where I physically cannot run any longer, but I have yet to start playing mind games and pushing my threshold to its limits. I made it 5 feet farther than I did last time. I'm thinking the training is paying off.
Bring it Solvang.
No comments:
Post a Comment