Thursday, August 5, 2010

Decisions, decisions

Some are much easier than others.

I can easily decide what I want to drink or eat (Everything. Duh. Fat kid, heeeey), what I want to watch (anything bad reality with more bleeped out sentences then complete sentences), what races I want to run (Long Beach, Big Sir and Catalina Buffalo Run half marathons all lined up), if its really in my best interest to Facebook an ex (the answer is always no).

What is much more difficult to decide - if I go to school in Portland or not. I just received my award letter. And while the revised offer is much higher than the goose-egg $0 awarded a month ago, it's still $5k less than tuition. I also need $3k or so for books and cost of living. So, until I win the lottery or $8,000 magically appears on my doorstep, I'm staying in Long Beach. Way to go, friends. Your plan worked. Jerks.

I'm so back and forth with the plan right now. I'm 98% sure I'm not going, which totally blows. It is not feasible for me to devote all this time to education right now.

The past couple weeks have been pretty tough, so I'm going to reward myself tomorrow. Haircut in the afternoon, some retail therapy after work and a nice din-din.

I need to get some new running shoes. Back to the drawing board to replace my beloved Nike Vomero 4s. Last month I bought a pair of Saucony ProGrid Ride 3. They are ultra cushy and absolutely do not fit my feet, but felt awesome at the store as I jogged up and down the street 3 times. I've had sore knees and a pulled hamstring since purchasing them. It's got to the point where I have nicknamed them the Sarah Palins. Yes, they are so bad that I feel the need to refer to them by the matriarch of a family full of failure.

The right shoe is named Sarah and much like the real Sarah, likes to do its job, then quit, then decide it wants to work again. The left, though, that one is a full failure, and thus, the "Palin" side to match the rest of the family. (Disclaimer: this was funny to me 6 miles into a tempo run...). The tongue slides and pinches the top of my foot no matter how many times I untie the laces, push the tongue to the right and double knot it down it still ends up on the left side giving me a good pinch. Plus, I got a massive hole in my left heel from it rubbing and the construction feels completely broken down. I feel like I'm running barefoot. They are great shoes if you run at a maximum 3 miles. After that it's extremely frustrating. At least my legs get a handful of good mid-run stretches due to how many times I have to bend down to readjust.

That's another easy decision, I guess - never buy these shoes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment