I didn't run all week because my left toes were bothering me a bit and I was seriously exhausted from the craziness of Thanksgiving week. I decided to stick with the training schedule and do my 12 miles.
Heading out was great - felt light, fast and strong. Then I turned around and realized the ease came from the push of my little friend, tailwind. The headwind was nuts. It was strong last week, but this week I felt I would fall on my face if the resistance let up at all. I spent most of the time punching the air, hoping my fists of glory would intimidate the wind to retreat. Not so much.
As extra motivation, I kept thinking of Dara. She was out there at 6:30am to push out 3 hours and 20 minutes of running. I saw her at about her mile 9 and she looked strong! As I turned around, I thought back to her huge smile as she trotted along the path and wondered how she mustered it in this wind. By the time I reached the point where I saw her, I was grimacing and frustrated by the wall I continued to run into.
With 1.66 miles left to go, I saw Dara and Vee making their way back to the finish line. Again, the strength Dara was emitting shocked me because I couldn't comprehend how she remained so optimistic as we trudged along. She'd been out there for a little over 3 hours, still looked strong and determined. This was the run to push her from "half marathoner" into "marathoner in training." And she killed it!
![]() |
| From It's Beans, yo! |

No comments:
Post a Comment