Sometimes, despite what you think you're capable of handling, you just can't. Sometimes your plate just isn't big enough. Sometimes you realize you're not a Superhero despite thinking you can be (and owning a cape). Sometimes you reach your breaking point.
As much as I want to balance work #1, work #2, classes, homework, training and seeing friends, I am only capable of doing so much. I can squeeze everything in, but even the most organized perfectionist cannot focus when they are absolutely exhausted. Physically, I'm capable of accomplishing all of the above and more, but not to the caliber I expect of myself.
My friend told me about the theory of a sixty hour index. This is the number of hours per week that should be allocated to execute obligations in order to remain relatively healthy... Before stress, exhaustion, immunity and sanity begin to falter. Before he told me of this and I blocked out my day, all I knew was it is the second week of school and I'm already crying over what needs to be done.
I broke my week down into my obligations (i.e., the things that I consider "my jobs"): work, school (includes the minimum class and study time), training.
Monday:
Work - 12 hours
School - 2 hours
Training - 0 hours
= 14 hours
Tuesday:
Work - 10 hours
School - 3 hours
Training - 1 hour
= 14 hours
Wednesday:
Work - 4.5 hours
School - 2 hours
Training - 2 hours
= 10.5 hours
Thursday:
Work - 9 hours
School - 3 hours
Training - 1 hour
= 13 hours
Friday:
Work - 8 hours
School - 0 hours
Training - 2 hours
= 10 hours
Saturday:
Work - 8 hours
School - 0 hours
Training - 0.5 hours
= 8.5 hours
Sunday:
Work - 0 hours
School - 2 hours
Training - 2 hours
= 4 hours
Weekly Totals:
Work = 51.5 hours
School = 12 hours
Training = 8.5 hours
A total of 72 hours of obligations - excluding time with family and friends, hygiene, cooking/eating. I'll be honest, I haven't showered in about 3 days because I haven't had the time or energy. I think that's evidence enough that something needs to be dropped.
Sometimes you have to do what is good for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment