Sunday, July 24, 2011

Roots

Why am I just now finding out about radishes?!

I bought them because a bunch was 59 cents and didn't know what I was getting myself into. Growing up I always thought they were like onions and, until a week ago, thought they'd be bitter and pungent. Not so much. I love the crisp and slight sweetness. They are the perfect salad filler or sliced up and dipped in hummus. Mmm, gimme some more.

I'm loving summer so much. I spent last weekend in Seattle, and like 4 years ago, it was rainy and overcast. I guess Portland suffered a similar weather pattern, but since I wasn't here I'm going to go ahead and think it was wonderfully sunny and continue my argument of crappy Seattle summers. Sorry, Seattle, you're fun to visit, but I'm happy to be down here. Even though your winters seem to be more mild.

Running has been a struggle recently. I've been terribly inconsistent (yup... no run streaking here) and have battled with diminished confidence in my abilities. I think it's the pressure to perform and perform well that turns me off. Now that I don't really have any races on the docket for awhile, I'm going to continue training, but do it for the love of running and not because my schedule tells me to run 7 miles or do speedwork at the track.

I'm going to try a new training method-- put on my shoes, put one foot in front of the other and go for as long as my body wants to go. No more "I must run 5 miles today at 7'57"" or "Gotta go over to the hill and run up and down it a couple times." Nope. It's just going to be me more of "which street do I want to run down today?"

After all, I run because it makes me feel free, so why not have the freedom to do what I want?

No comments:

Post a Comment