Saturday, May 7, 2011

Recap: Eugene Half Marathon (5.1.2011)

Eugene knows how to host a foot race. The whole event was extremely well organized, the crowd support was intense, the aid/water stations were well stocked and the finish... well, wow. One, it's on Hayward Field; two, there's roaring crowd cheering armed with cowbells in the bleachers; three, you can watch yourself finish on the big screen (you know, if you're not too concerned with getting across the line); four, did I mention it's on Hayward Field? Approaching that line gives you a feeling of unity with the many Eugene superstars.

The start was slightly delayed, but I anticipate any start to be at least 15 minutes behind. The course starts through neighborhoods and gets a little bottlenecked with the cars still parked along the curb. I tried to get in the front because I heard about this potential problem and while it didn't bother me too much, I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for the throngs of runners behind me.

It loops through the neighborhood before heading up Amazon Parkway and into a wee bit of a hilly area. Whoever was cooking bacon in their front yard, you are evil. Back down Amazon Parkway we go. At this point I was checking in with my body, ate an FRS chew and realized I felt pretty amazing. I had no idea how fast I was running, but I caught up to the 3:30 marathon pace group and decided to hang with them, but that pace felt way too slow. So, I found another guy to pace. He'd been about 5 strides in front of me most of the race and little did he know, he became my rabbit.

Trailing my rabbit, we looped past Eugene High School (I think) and then we are hit with it. The hill. It didn't look too menacing, but the sun did create a glare and the overhanging trees hid the final crest of the hill. I glanced to my left and saw a woman with "KILL THE HILL" across a poster board, so I heeded her advice and went for it. I stayed shoulder to shoulder with my rabbit and fought the urge to walk. It was killer. I kept telling myself once you get over the top it's all downhill.

Thankfully, it was. The course doubled-back over the first part of the start, past the dorms, over the Willamette and toward Autzen. I saw another great sign as we passed Hayward to the left, "I'm proud of you complete stranger." It made me smile. Thanks, complete stranger!

Between the Willamette and Autzen we paralleled Pre's trail and how I wish we ran on that! Instead it was that gravely-asphalt surface that winds through most nature walks. Uneven, unforgiving, painful. I was beginning to hit the wall, but started passing people. Maybe they were hitting the wall, too? I kept telling myself to reign it in and unleash at Franklin, right before we enter the University of Oregon campus and make our way to Hayward.

In my head, the distance from Franklin to Hayward was a half mile and I'd just start accelerating. But it was .25 miles! Crap! My freshman memory failed me! And why did I think back then it felt soooooooo long to walk from the dorms to the Burger King on the corner? Anyway, I saw the 26 mile marker and it was on.

I sort of took the turn into Hayward a bit tight and got stuck behind someone a bit slower, so lost some momentum, but when my feet hit that track I felt lighter, agile and instantly my posture straightened, my form improved. I still hate the track, but this one definitely has a feel I may love.

I ran a conservative race, didn't push myself too hard and really enjoyed being back in Eugene. As a result, I missed a PR by about a minute. Considering that I didn't feel bad, I'm thinking it's a win. I want to find that fire in my belly again. The one where I'm willing to go out there and kill myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked on my time--1:42.14--but definitely wish I pushed myself during the last 2 miles instead of chanting in my head, "Maintain. Reign it in. Wait 'til Franklin."

Aside from the race, the weekend was spent with two friends from my college days. We walked all over campus, feeling like we were transported back 10 years to our college years. Upon walking onto campus, we all felt like we were walking to class. I finally got a beer at Rennie's Landing with some Ducks, we meandered through the bookstore (twice), ate dinner at our favorite Mexican place, got pizookies at BJs, fish and chips at Newmans and, something we never did as college Ducks, went to Ninkasi Brewery for some tasting trays.

It was a fabulous weekend and I cannot wait to do it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment