After taking stock of what is left of my training plan, I decided to hit the pavement again and knock out the prescribed long run. My goal was 16 miles, but after mapping it out, I was about a half mile short of my goal.
I still don't know the neighborhood that well, so instead of running into a less than desirable area, I started going up and down the streets. About a mile or so up and down. Each up part ended with a climb. The first being steep, but thankfully each grade lessened before the hills were more rolling bumps. Or, I was delirious.
It turned out to be a pretty good run - not too easy, not too tough. Although, the hardest part was pretending I didn't see my apartment building when I looped down along my cross streets. I ate two FRS chews around mile 5 and 11. I'm testing out a new nutritional plan for the marathon. My stomach doesn't do well with GUs, Gatorade or Powerade and recently, Sharkies have been upsetting my tums as well.
This was my third attempt trying FRS chews on a long run and I haven't had a problem yet. Another incentive is the gooeyness of the square. I can stick it between my tongue and molars to let it dissolve, I can mash it with my tongue or chew it up. What I've found with gummies is the effort it takes to chew them up interferes with my ability to breathe. Not exactly something you want to contend with when running long distance and oxygen intake is key to survival.
No comments:
Post a Comment