Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hard Week

I hit a streak of really bad luck that caused me to forego anything that was not hiding from life in bed. After a strong run the Sunday morning before last, I show up at work to close, do inventory and find out the one person that was to provide coverage while I counted everything in store had called out. Thankfully it was slow. But after 12.5 miles earlier, my legs were screaming at me by the end of my 8 hour shift.

On Monday I had an hour to take care of paperwork and orders, but it was super busy, so I was running around like crazy and barely got everything done by 10am. I got home, ate and headed to job #2 to cover for a girl who was on vacation (lucky girl...). Tuesday wasn't much better and was another 14 hour work day. I know something bad happened on Wednesday, but I think I've blocked it from my memory. Thursday was much like Tuesday. By Friday, I was done. At least I finally had an easy work day, but was extremely busy afterward. I worked until 1pm, literally sped to a hair appointment, attempted to meet up with the ladies for yoga in Huntington Beach but couldn't because the traffic was so bad (3 miles in 45 minutes - yay Southern California!), then had to meet up with some friend in the evening.

After a crazy week, I was rewarded with the whole 4th of July weekend off. Totally rad! We moved our long run to Saturday due to the holiday and had a special training run lined up. This super awesome triathlete met us in Irvine at Quail Hill Trail to kick our butts. He's been doing triathlons for the past 21 years after turning his life around at 25 years old. I was pumped to learn and run with him. After a few missed turns, we finally got on the proper trail and I started booking it up the hill. But 3/4 of the way to the top I feel a "pop" in my foot.

"Oh shit!" I knew what it was - my tendonitis that has laid dormant for about a year and a half decided to say hello. I came to a complete halt and I was balling my eyes out. Not because it hurt (oh, believe me it did), but because I really wanted to run this trail! I told them what was going on as best I could as snotty bubbles escaped from my nose and spit balloons floated out of my mouth. I headed back down to the cars depressed, pissed, frustrated and disappointed after only 34 minutes of the scheduled 110 minutes of running.

I just gotta say - I love my group for their support. It's great to have a bunch of like-minded people there to check in, cheer you on and hold you up when you're at your lowest.

My toe is feeling much better after taking a few days off. I went out to our Hill St run this afternoon, but ran a relatively flat course as they all conquered the hill. I guess having a slight flare up is the least of all the possible bad things that could have happened on the trail.

Shortly after getting home, Kat and I hit up the Hootenanny to see Devil Doll, Nick 13, Chuck Berry and others. It was a perfect day at the Hoot and was so happy to spend it with one of my besties.

Then there's the perfection that was the 4th of July. After a shitty, shitty week, this was my day to do absolutely nothing. And I did it well. Kat, Mindy and I rode our bikes down to the boat around 11am and parked our butts on the bow for the whole day. I stuffed my face with hot dogs, chips, fruit salad, bean salad and beer. It was just perfect. The Queen Mary puts on a great fireworks show that from our boat slip appears close enough to touch.

This week has been much better, although I have worked 31 hours in 3 days! It's OK though. I'm feeling better. I've started doing Jillian Michaels again and got back into my training for San Francisco. I'm feeling pretty good! I'm super excited for this run. It's going to be intense and an early day, but I think it's going to be a great experience. Only 18 days until race day!

No comments:

Post a Comment