Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Training Day 31

Today: 7 miles (combo of tempo and fast)

I fully admit the way I train is not how I ask others to train. I'm a conservative coach and guide from lessons I've learned from training the wrong way. When my training log is in questions, the way I train is a whole other story. I'm too competitive for my own good. I decide on a goal and that's it - I want to meet it... no matter what.

If one of my running friends had a race on Saturday and totally slacked last week and wanted to kick their ass this week, I'd tell them to reevaluate. To go out there and race, but race a bit slower, at a manageable pace and to walk if necessary. Suffering an injury now is only going to deter you in future training for future races. Go out and enjoy the sun, the camaraderie and the scenery... no matter how you do you still get a medal.

Too bad I cannot heed my own advice. Instead, only days before my race, I'm bumping up my pace to tempo (somewhere between basic run and race pace) four times for 800 meters and then three sprints for 200 meters during a 7 mile run. And yesterday I'm ran hills! Which, by the way, I totally felt today.

Actually, I'm unsure if my legs were exhausted from the hills or replacing the standard Nike insoles with my fancy pants custom insoles. Since the time I had those insoles made I've welcomed more cushioning and less arch support. These insoles lend credence to a barefoot runner's argument -- let your feet do what they are designed for: absorbing impact.

Instead, my arches hate me for putting so much support under them and then stomping for 7 miles. So, I'm debating whether I want to run the half with my old insoles that took about 5.5 miles of getting used to or throwing in the standard issues and feeling it in my knees. I may play around tomorrow with insoles from my Nike Lunar Glides. The shoe itself was demolished after a month and a half, but I think the insoles are fine. At least they look less compacted than my Vomeros. We'll see how that feels on my short, easy, flat 3 miler tomorrow.

When I say "short, easy, flat" I mean it. Gotta give these puppies a rest before Saturday. Even I know that. And respect that. Tomorrow's run is pure experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment