Thursday, October 28, 2010

Let the Quest Begin

Boston: that has been my goal since I started competitive running.

In fact, my first race was a marathon. Whatever 5k... Get outta here 10k! Why do a half marathon when you can run a full? That was my philosophy. But I was also 22, ignorant to proper training and, in my mind, invincible. The difference between the 6 miles I ran every day, 5 times a week and the 26.2 miles in a single day? Nothin'.

Each week my mileage increased exponentially. A 2 mile increase one week, 4 miles the next, another 2 miles the next week. Then, after a month or two of running A LOT, I found something. No, not clarity to see that at this rate I'd be ready for a Century run. No, no, no... my IT Band introduced itself in a very abrupt, angry sort of way. Obviously, I was taking it for granted and it had had enough.

After 6 weeks on my butt, my IT Band had recovered. I bought Four Months to a Four Hour Marathon and started to train properly. Problems: I had 3 months until the marathon and lost most of my endurance.

To exasperate my lack of training, 8 weeks into my second attempt, school started. 18 units + 30 hours a week at work = no time. I ran more miles 14 days before the marathon then I did in the whole month of September.

Come race day, I lined up at the start line, nervous and unprepared. I got through the race with a decent time. 9 minutes over the finish time the book promised.

Fast forward 5 years to a strong, smart runner who is supported by an amazing group of women who love to run and family and friends who embrace my craziness. No longer do my parents and friends nod their heads and placate me with, "Sure, honey, you can do this", but they actually believe in me. And that's what gets me through the desperate sections of a race. The parts where I feel like I'm on death march. Their praise, support and cheers are what drive me to the end.

So off we go! Boston here we come! First stop: Surf City 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment